Stroud, Barron L.Vcard
Barron Stroud is the Partner-In-Charge of the Firm’s Maryland (Baltimore and National Harbor) offices of Wong Fleming and also practices in the Firm’s Washington, D.C. office. Mr. Stroud is the Co-Chair of the Commercial Litigation Practice Group, Products Liability and Mass Tort Litigation Practice Group and the Intellectual Property Practice Group. Mr. Stroud concentrates his practice primarily in business and intellectual property disputes, labor and employment law matters, and entertainment and sports law.
Mr. Stroud has extensive experience litigating contract disputes, fraud and business tort claims, and the protection of trade secrets and intellectual property, including, securing, protecting, and licensing trademark and copyright interests, rights of publicity, and internet and domain name strategies. He also has extensive experience defending wrongful discharge, discrimination, and workplace harassment claims in state and federal courts and before administrative agencies. He is a frequent presenter to corporate and institutional clients on intellectual property and employment law matters. He has led the defense of class-action litigation, leading a large team of private and government lawyers, and has successfully served both corporate and institutional clients across a diverse array of industries in high stakes business disputes, including, representing clients at numerous jury trials and successfully defending trial verdicts on appeal. As a creative litigator and trial lawyer, Mr. Stroud has been elected a Fellow to the Litigation Counsel of America, a trial lawyer honor society which is just one of his many honors. Mr. Stroud is also a Charter Fellow of the Litigation Counsel of America’s Intellectual Property Institute.
Mr. Stroud’s entertainment law practice focuses on the music industry, the film and television industry, and related intellectual property matters. His concentration includes negotiating touring, recording, publishing and licensing agreements for performing artists, songwriters, producers, and music labels; production and talent agreements for music, television, motion pictures, and the fine arts; executive employment agreements; sports law; counseling on internet strategies; and brand management.
Mr. Stroud is rated AV-Preeminent and has been selected to Washington D.C. and Baltimore’s Best Rated Lawyers. The ALM Media/National Law Journal has also recognized Mr. Stroud nationally as a Best Rated Lawyer in Intellectual Property and a Best Rated Lawyer in Commercial Litigation.
Prior to joining Wong Fleming, Mr. Stroud was a Partner at an Am Law 150 Firm, where he primarily served corporate and institutional clients in litigation matters.
- Litigated complex contract and commercial disputes for both Fortune 500 and developing companies.
- Defended intellectual property, brand management, and franchising matters.
- Defended and obtained defense trial verdicts for major manufacturers respecting consumer and industrial product and medical device liability claims.
- Defended wrongful discharge and discrimination claims for corporate and institutional clients.
- Counseled on, negotiated, and litigated entertainment, arts, and sports matters.
- Litigated financial services matters.
- Litigated and enforced non-competition agreements, protection of trade secrets, and intellectual property matters.
- Defended class-action litigation and consolidated claims as lead counsel.
- Defended and managed products liability and mass-toxic tort claims for manufacturers, distributors of consumer and industrial products, and manufacturers and distributors of medical devices.
- Obtained summary judgment for a major breast implant manufacturer based on federal preemption.
- Successfully defended government clients in multi-phase federal class action litigation.
- Obtained a defense trial verdict for a major university in a high-profile matter dealing with constitutional tort claims.
- Defended numerous manufacturers respecting asbestos toxic torts claims, in state and federal courts regionally and in other jurisdictions nationally.
- Extensive experience with expert discovery and Daubert motions respecting scientific experts and the removal of claims. Experienced in the use of joint defense agreements for shared multi-Defendant defense experts and other matters.
- Represented a major manufacturer in the defense of multi-jurisdictional mass toxic tort cases. Managed and defended a docket of thousands of cases. Served on the manufacturer’s national trial team and participated in the development of a national defense strategy. Managed mass-tort discovery matters regionally, in coordination with the national discovery team.
- Commercial Litigation
- Corporate Asset Recovery
- Employment and Labor Law
- Entertainment, Arts & Sports
- Intellectual Property
- Products Liability and Mass Tort Litigation
- Trial, Insurance Defense and Coverage
ADMITTED TO PRACTICE
- District of Columbia
- DDC, DMD
PROFESSIONAL HONORS, AWARDS AND ACTIVITIES
- Named a 2014 Top Rated Lawyer by American Lawyer Media for Intellectual Property Law
- Fellow, Litigation Council of America, The Trial Lawyer Honor Society
- Selected to Washington D.C. and Baltimore’s Top-Rated Lawyers, an ALM publication featured in the National Law Journal, other ALM publications, The Washington Post, and Baltimore Sun
- Member, Leadership Maryland (Class of 2005)
- Member, Leadership Howard County, MD (Class of 2004)
- Director and Secretary, Howard County Arts Council
- Director, Ulman Cancer Fund
- Member, ABA Minority Trial Lawyers Committee
- Member, National Bar Association
- Member, Defense Research Institute
- Member, Maryland Association of Defense Trial Lawyers
- Member, ABA Labor & Employment Law Committee
“Discharge and Reduction in Force” (Chapter Monitor, Employment and Discrimination Law, 4th Ed. 2010 Cumulative Supplement, ABA Section of Labor and Employment Law).
- J.D., with Honors, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (1993)
- B.S., with Honors, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (1988)